Lancaster Pa. - Harrisburg's men's tennis team did not like losing their first game of the season in an extremely tight match last week against Rutgers Camden 5-4. Unfortunately for the Lancaster Bible Chargers, the Lions used the recent tough loss to improve their focus and mentality; they refocused that energy and emotion positively today for an 8-1 win over the home team.
The Lions swept the Chargers in singles play with impressive wins led by Josh Cartmill (Carlisle, Pa. / Cumberland Valley) as he topped Alex Derus 6-1, 6-0 in the first spot. Tyler Miller (Mechanicsburg, Pa. / Mechanicsburg) dropped Alex Ko 6-3, 6-2 in the second spot, in the third pair Ben Leibig (Lebanon, Pa. / Lebanon) defeated Grant Noel 6-2, 6-2, Vincent Lepore III (Chepachet, R.I. / Ponaganset) defeated Jeremy Davis 6-2, 6-4 in the fourth spot, Alex Koltun (Mount Gretna, Pa. / Cedar Crest) made a statement as he dropped Dan Soden 6-0, 6-1 in the fifth pairing, and in the sixth spot Manley Wong (Lancaster, Pa. / Conestoga Valley) also decidedly took down Tedd Holbrook 6-1, 6-0.
In doubles competition the first team of Cartmill and Miller defeated Derus and Noel 8-2. Lepore and Wong defeated Holbrook and Justin Bendo 8-0. In the lion's only loss of the day, Leibig and Koltun were brought down by the Charger's team of Ko and Davis 8-5.
With the impressive win, the lions move to 3-1 in conference play and 9-3 overall. They will face another NEAC rival in Penn State Berks on Saturday for their second road match in a row.
1. Joshua Cartmill (PSHM1213) def. Alex Derus (LBCM1213) 6-1, 6-1
2. Tyler Miller (PSHM1213) def. Alex Ko (LBCM1213) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ben Leibig (PSHM1213) def. Grant Noel (LBCM1213) 6-2, 6-2
4. Vincent Lepore III (PSHM1213) def. Jeremy Davis (LBCM1213) 6-2, 6-4
5. Alex Koltun (PSHM1213) def. Dan Soden (LBCM1213) 6-0, 6-1
6. Manley Wong (PSHM1213) def. Tedd Holbrook (LBCM1213) 6-1, 6-0
1. Joshua Cartmill/Tyler Miller (PSHM1213) def. Alex Derus/Grant Noel (LBCM1213) 8-2
2. Alex Ko/Jeremy Davis (LBCM1213) def. Ben Leibig/Alex Koltun (PSHM1213) 8-5
3. Vincent Lepore III/Manley Wong (PSHM1213) def. Tedd Holbrook/Justin Bendo (LBCM1213) 8-0